Thursday, September 9, 2010

Day 87: Somebunny Sure Is Noisy!

As I mentioned earlier this week, Graham now lives in the playroom upstairs. She loves the playroom. She’s happy again, so I really hate to find anything wrong with her new surroundings. But her new room shares a wall with my bedroom. And she is not a quiet bunny!

The geniuses who built our home fifty years ago apparently had no regard for insulation. No insulation between rooms; no insulation between us and the outdoors. None. We have added as much insulation as we can. And now, I just wish we had it between the interior walls to act as a noise barrier. Two nights ago, Dom and I were hanging out in the office downstairs when we heard this thump thump thump. Dom looked concerned, and I explained, “It’s just Graham.”

“That can’t be Graham! That was loud!!”

“I know! It’s Graham, trust me. She’s either biting the sides of her cage or trying to rip her water bottle down. She’s loud, I tell ya.”

“But she’s too far away from us right now. That noise can’t be her.”

“She’s technically right over our heads. It’s her.”

Fast forward to last night. I am usually a very sound sleeper. It almost takes a freight train to wake me up now that I’ve known for several years that the kids are breathing all through the night. But last night was different. Last night, Graham decided to wrestle her water bottle – metal on metal on rabbit teeth. ALL. NIGHT. LONG.

I woke up at least four times during the night to Graham’s racket. As they say here in the south, that dog just won’t hunt. I have to make some sort of change, but I’m not sure what exactly, short of banishing Graham to the downstairs at night, which will mean toting her back and forth. That will probably stress her out again and defeat the progress we have made toward rescuing her attitude. At the very least, her bedroom door is getting closed tonight. I may have to investigate an alternative water bottle that she can’t wrestle with. Or a sound-proof cover for her cage. Do they even make such a thing??

If you have any suggestions for solution, just like our wascally wabbits, I’m all ears.

2 comments:

  1. 1. Sedation... ;)

    2. Can you fashion some sort of buffer around the water bottle so that it doesn't make such a racket when she swings it around?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sedation! Why didn't I think of that?!! ;) Actualy, I do need to find some other sort of water bottle for her. Whatever buffer I use has to be edible, just incase. Yikes!

    ReplyDelete