Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Day 51: Everybody Was Kung-Fu Fightin’…

…Those rabbits were fast as lightnin’!!

We went to my grandmother’s house this past weekend for a 24-hour visit, and we left the bunnies, Marsha Mallow and Graham Cracker, with Kasie for care, feeding and some quality kid-time with my niece and nephew. Kasie called Dom’s cell at about 2pm on Saturday.

“Um, the rabbits are fighting. Graham is attacking Marsha. Has this ever happened before?”

“HUH??? WHAT’S happening??? No, they don’t fight.”

“Uh, yeah, they do.”

Apparently, Graham got ticked at Marsha and the cage door was not completely closed, so Kasie suddenly heard this ruckus coming from the cage. The door sprung open and two floppy-eared furballs rolled out fighting! Kasie said fur was flying everywhere and they resembled a cartoon tussle, rolling one on top of the other until they had spanned the length of the hallway. It was enough to freak everyone out, so Kasie put Marsha in a pet carrier to get some peace from Graham. She sent me a text an hour or so later and said she had put them back together, and now they were asleep on top of each other.

Since we got home Saturday night, Dom and I have both been disturbed by the amount of times we have heard the cage rattling. It sounds like they’re about to bust outta there! When we go check on them, they freeze and stare up at us as if to say, “It wasn’t me!!!!” Then we turn our backs, and the tussle starts all over again. The only proof of discontent (aside from the noise) is the tufts of fur laying in the bottom of the cage.

Talk about getting their ears in a twist!

Originally, I thought they just needed a bigger cage – one where they could spread out and chill with each other. Perhaps a nice two-story bunny hutch? Given that I had read how they were such social critters, I figured they would naturally insist on being together. But my phone call to Critter Company yesterday taught me otherwise. Apparently, when rabbits start to reach maturity, they don’t like to be together, and will fight.

Oh, LOVVVVVVVVVVVELY!

So, now healthier living spreads to the bunny rabbits. In the interest of inner peace Graham and Marsha shall henceforth be separated when it is cage time. They can play together each day when the kids let them out to roam their rooms. And, now, Aaron will be solely responsible for the care of Graham, and Vic will only have to worry about Marsha. I’ll be making two bunny care chore charts instead of one now, but it will be for the good of all involved.

Does EVERYONE have to learn these things the hard way, or is it just me?

1 comment:

  1. This is the single CUTEST problem I've ever heard of anyone having!

    Nevertheless, I'm glad you got it worked out!

    ReplyDelete