Thursday, August 5, 2010

Day 52: The Plague of Pesticides

Finding a good website that shares a ton of information in all fields related to its main topic seems to be the highlight of my days recently. I was browsing Stonyfield’s website this weekend and came across a lot of interesting information regarding pesticides. Scary information, but interesting nonetheless.

I must admit, had I read this information 10 years ago, I would have made these lifestyle changes then. For whatever reason, I was oblivious. The most astonishing thing I learned is this:

"Young digestive tracts absorb toxins more readily than adult digestive tracts, and young kidneys don’t detoxify as efficiently as adult kidneys. As a result, toxins circulate longer in babies’ bodies, boosting exposure to four times that of adults."
FOUR TIMES! I’m aggravated enough at how I have endangered my own health. Now I discover that I have compounded the problem for my children? Yikes, people!

It is not easy to switch to organic at the drop of a hat. I’ve been slowly moving over for two months now, and I’m not anywhere near where I ultimately want to be on this. But I have stumbled upon a few things that help me when I’m at the grocery store. First off, Kroger has a rockin’ natural and organic section, and I have fallen so much in love with Sunshine Health Foods that I want to pitch a tent in the back of their store. There ARE better options, even in my little ol’ neck of the woods. Even my WalMart has some organic options which are easier on the budget.

A simple starting point for me has been fruit and vegetables. There is a handy-dandy wallet size list on Stonyfield’s site that lists the fruits and veggies which are better for you in organic form, and those which are ok to buy regular. I’ve printed the list to keep with me while I shop. This way, I won’t stress out over not buying organic onions. However, I have noted that organic fruits and vegetables at Kroger have generally cost the same as, and sometimes less than, their non-organic counterparts. Plus, I think buying organic whenever possible tells the store that organic is worth keeping in stock and tells the farmers and producers that we appreciate and support their efforts.

Interesting factoid from the USDA site: Did you know that in order for a producer or handler to be certified organic, their ENTIRE PROPERTY has to be pesticide-free for THREE YEARS before certification?  And then they have to provide detailed records of their growing cycles and controls, etc.  In a funny way, all the stuff they have to do to keep certification reminds me of all the hoopla involved in Natural Family Planning.  Soil tests, crop rotations, you get the picture.  (And just incase you're wondering, I was never any good at NFP.)

Whether the organic mission starts in the kitchen or the powder room is up to the individual. There is a lot of room for improvement in my home. But I am pleased to have found two additional websites that offer (angel chorus) ORGANIC SKIN CARE AND COSMETICS, and more information on the ingredients we want to AVOID.

As for all-out intentional pesticides, I may have found something that is sort of okay for the dudes who really want to kill bugs. EcoSmart has a line of pest control products for home, lawn and garden that seem to be okay. They do have trace amounts of Sodium Lauryl Sulfate, which is less than pleasing to me, but the other ingredients appeared to be genuinely natural, even organic, and the Materials Safety Data Sheet was not at all alarming. (I read the MSDS on a different pesticide last week. The pesticide claimed to be “Earth Friendly” and safe for vegetables and fruits. Aside from all the warnings and “in case of contact” instructions, the MSDS listed the transportation category as “Environmentally Hazardous Substance.” It made me laugh out loud, even though crap like that is really not funny.)

Still, I want to find old-fashioned Great-Grandma-Approved methods of controlling pests in my garden, and especially when I grow vegetables. (Hey, I know I don’t have any now, but it could happen!)

I am learning much, and sometimes it’s downright overwhelming. But it is worth it to be informed. I can’t help thinking of the good I’m doing my children by investigating the facts and making healthier choices. Long live the munchkins!!

No comments:

Post a Comment