Sunday, June 27, 2010

Day 13: Moving in the Right Direction

I guess I should spend some time with a little follow-up on all our progress so far. News on the makeup front: Day 2 of wearing the organic cosmetics and no problems to report. I was concerned yesterday when the mascara flaked with each swipe of my finger, and even though it still looked great at the end of the day, I was certain it would never make it through a good cry. Well, as it turns out, I got to test that today. We went to see Toy Story 3.

Yes, I cried.

I cried a lot.

I don’t know if I cried more over the toys’ support of each other as they floated toward an incinerator, or over Andy growing up and going off to college, leaving his childhood behind. No matter, I cried right through it all. A quick pit-stop into the ladies room after the movie confirmed that the eyeliner and mascara both came through the tears unscathed. Victory!!!

Other minor victories in my shopping yesterday afternoon…I found a shampoo (Burt’s Bees Raspberry and Brazil Nut) and also found the organic cosmetic line (Physician’s Formula) in two other stores: ULTA and Sunshine Health Foods. ULTA had a product I couldn’t pass up: PF organic wear eye makeup remover pads!! How cool, huh?? I picked up a new facial cleanser, also Burts Bees, which smelled and felt great when I used it last night. Tally for yesterday and today: instead of using my typical 10 cosmetic products with all the nasty chemical ingredients, I only used three. My next imminent purchase is a facial moisturizer, which will probably also be Burts Bees, and the loose powder in the PF Organic Wear line.

Also purchased yesterday: a Burt’s Bees lip gloss in shimmery pink (shared with me by Victoria, of course) a bottle of lanolin and a bottle of jojoba oil. I needed to purchase sesame oil to make my own sunless tanner, so that project is on hold until at least tomorrow. And we also got some new nail polish. While I don’t believe any nail polish is going to be organic, I understand that OPI brand has made healthy strides to eliminate the most harmful ingredients from their line. So we bought the new Shrek blue. :)

Next on the ToDo List is the task of firing off letters to Mary Kay, Whole Foods and Trader Joe’s in hopes of making some positive change for women and our area. That, in fact, is today’s healthy positive change: Communicating with the big dogs and trying to get positive wheels moving for more than just my family.

Until tomorrow…

No comments:

Post a Comment