Monday, June 21, 2010

Day 7: Vamoosing the Parabens - Cosmetics

I have begun the very painful process of ditching the bad beauty products. I spent considerable time yesterday researching the ingredients in my Mary Kay products. Ouch. Naturally, I discover this a month after purchasing a 6-8 month supply of all cosmetics, moisturizers, lotions and lip balms that I am accustomed to using.

This is a hard thing to change. I have used these products for 22 years. I don’t want to stop using them, but the risk is just too great. Last night, I threw away several items I had been holding onto. Lip balm – out. Eye shadow samples (in some really cool colors) – out. Eye cream and lip gloss – out.

It will be a while before this process is complete. First, I will need suitable replacements for the stuff I use every day. I won’t be heading into work with a bare face, I can guarantee that! But, after learning the ingredients on several different “most unwanted” lists, and then finding those ingredients in EVERY SINGLE product I use on my face, my desire to continue their use is hanging on only by the last thread of vanity. I have stopped using most of my moisturizing products. You know those photo booths that take your picture and show you all the hidden sun damage on your face? I imagine these products doing similar unseen damage to me, and I just can’t bring myself to slather them on my face like I used to. They sit sadly on the tray on my bathroom countertop. They’re like little lepers of my skin care routine now.

I will continue to seek natural products for my face. I have yet to actually find a cosmetic line that does not contain harmful ingredients. When I do, it will be posted here as a side note, with a permanent link to their site at the right.

Inspiration for the day: You must do the thing you think you cannot do. – Eleanor Roosevelt

1 comment:

  1. Please do let me know when you find some! I have been using Mary Kay for several years as well and would love to find something before for me and the environment!

    ReplyDelete