Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Day 9: Clipping My Way to Savings

I am a bit on the frugal side. Oh, hell, I admit it…I’m downright cheap. It’s not that I don’t like buying things. On the contrary, I could easily become a shopaholic. I just hate checking out and seeing the final tally on my damage. If I’ve bought an item for me, guilt immediately sets in…UNLESS I have saved a considerable amount of money by using coupons on sale items.

But that’s the problem. I hardly ever use coupons. We don’t take the paper, so I miss out on the Sunday circulars. The only coupons I ever have are those for retail shops which are mailed to me, or those for grocery items which someone sees, thinks of me, and clips to give me. And this is the strange part…I will NEVER forget to use a coupon at a retail store, but I can never remember to use them at the grocery store. I carried a coffee coupon around with me for a month, finally using it on the day it expired. I get so aggravated when I get home and realize I still have two or three coupons in my purse that I didn’t use. But I counter that with the fact that the two or three coupons I had might have saved me a whole dollar, and when the grocery ticket tops $300, what’s one more measly buck?

As I venture into organic foods, I see that this is not going to be a frugal undertaking. Although, with the help of my friends I have found some great websites and blogs. Organic On A Dime offers a list of quality organic food companies and links to their online coupons. I have signed up for three companies’ email notifications. (Like I don’t get enough email already…) Perhaps with enough coupons to make a notable savings I will remember to actually use them at the checkout, instead of concentrating only on the bread not getting squashed.

No comments:

Post a Comment