Friday, July 2, 2010

Day 18: Caramel Calories

I simply have to find a way to shore up the calories in my weekly Starbucks drink. My Venti Nonfat Carmel Macchiato sits comfortably at 240 calories. Compare this to my usual 90-calorie home-brewed cup, and suddenly the Venti NCM counts for breakfast every Friday.

Dom drinks the nonfat caramel latte. It’s a little sweeter than my drink, so I was shocked to see that his beverage was 70 calories less than mine.

70 calories! How unfair is that?!!! I racked my brain trying to determine where this absurd difference originated. Finally, after days of pondering the matter, it hit me. Our drinks are basically the same except that I get an awesome caramel sauce drizzled over the top of my beverage. Apparently, a 70-calorie caramel sauce. Owie zowie. But I love the sauce because it seeps through the rest of the drink and sweetens it just enough to take the bitterness out of the espresso, without being too sweet.

Oh, the dilemmas of an underworked mind. I should be spending my time in the accounting books or cleaning out the upstairs playroom, or refining my home network...something besides contemplating my coffee purchase as if it were fine furniture.

Well, the accounting and the playroom and the network will just have to wait. It’s Friday, and it is coffee day for me and my co-workers. I think I’ll get the barista’s opinion on the matter. That should make his happy little day. Heh heh…

No comments:

Post a Comment