Friday, July 9, 2010

Day 25: Vamoosing the Chemicals

Many of these changes in this process of living healthier are quite challenging. I find myself sometimes wondering if I’m in over my head, but then a moment of clarity will strike me (imagine that) and I will remember why I’m making all these changes. The rewards come in spurts: Aaron googled the ingredients of Skittles to learn that they are horrific snacks. Both kids read labels with voracity now, and that pleases me immensely because they are learning to make smarter choices in their foods. Victoria declined a lemonade slushee from her aunt last week because “it might contain artificial colors.” As I told Kasie when she relayed the story to me, “The Force is strong with this one.”

Aside from the dietary changes we are all making, the cooking and cleaning and balancing it all are an additional challenge. Tonight I was scrubbing the door frame in the kitchen and Victoria asked if I was okay. Does that tell you the significance of these changes? Three times this week my “perfect plans” for dinner have been way-laid by various shifts in the plan. Although I must say that I am pleased with my ability (concentrated effort, that is) to bounce and refocus, whereas before I would crash and burn and remain ticked off for the rest of the evening because my plan got sidetracked, and probably vow to never cook again, which would only last until the next time I got hungry. I keep reminding myself that making healthy changes is not only about actions, it begins with thoughts, so I’m trying to keep those positive. Hopefully, this change in me will sustain the rest of the family through the other challenges.

As far as my change for today, I must report that I have made the most sweeping alteration thusfar. I cleaned out the bathroom cabinets last night and vamoosed every paraben, phthalate, petroleum and formaldehyde toting product I could find, up to and including my coveted Mary Kay. I literally tossed out about twenty pounds of product, either to be trashed or recycled.

When I began this challenge, I was ready to find replacements for these products, but I wasn’t ready to let them go altogether. Last night I made the choice and took action. I gotta say, it feels damn good.

No comments:

Post a Comment