Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Day 36: It’s A Bug, Bug, Bug, Bug World

My green efforts have just extended to the outside.  I think I found termites in my chrysanthemums. I decided to move the mums from one spot of my new flowerbed to another because of their size, and when I did, I saw all these creepy-crawly send-me-screaming kind of bugs. My first thought was termites, because they were white and shapely. Blech!!! My internet research says I might be right. But I did notice that they were contained in the area where the mums were planted, centered at the root ball of one plant.

Still…yuck!

So I called my pest control people and asked if they could bring something, preferably organic, to kill the little dudes before they spread further in my flowerbed, and worse, to my home. I am scheduled for a termite inspection today and will decide what needs to be done after that. I cannot imagine or wrap my head around a worst-case scenario right now, so in preparation for best-case scenario, I found out that beneficial nematodes will eat the termites in my dirt. So, if my inspectors don’t find any damage to my home or have a good eco-friendly solution for the ones in the ground, then for the first time in my life I will purchase bugs. Bugs to kill bugs. Go figure.

I did find a good site that hopefully will jumpstart my organic gardening process:  GreenMethods.com seems to have all the beginner’s why-you-want-to-do-it-this-way information ready for the taking. I have been wanting to get all “green” in my garden. Maybe this is my starting point.

Wish me bug-free luck!!

No comments:

Post a Comment