Sunday, July 18, 2010

Day 34: Milk Money

For quite some time now, I have made a point of buying milk from cows who were not treated with the RBST hormone. I had to go to a second grocery store to get a brand I trusted, but it was worth it in my opinion. But once all this other dietary change came about, my cousin Maggie clued me in on the meat dangers, which started me researching meat and dairy while my head nearly spun off my shoulders. I started thinking about not only the hormones, but now the pesticides sprayed on the farm which the cows might ingest, antibiotics they are given, and OMG – some cows are forced to eat their buddies? Whaaaaaaaa????

Suffice it to say I have never been a farm girl. I found and am happy to share the Top 10 Eco-Friendly Reasons to Buy Organic Meat & Dairy by Annie Bond. (I love that her name is Annie, by the way. Makes me feel like my grandma, Annie – who was a farm girl - is tapping me on the shoulder.)

On my previous grocery store run I bought a single gallon of organic milk (at almost twice the price) along with several gallons of our regular milk, assuming no one else in the family would 1) notice if I changed the milk or 2) readily want to change if its cost were disclosed. I figured I’d be the guinea pig, if you will, but I went ahead and opened the organic gallon and slipped it onto the refrigerator shelf.

The result? It’s a hit!! Dom says it tastes better than the regular milk I was buying. In fact, he commented on it twice. See? Healthier, happier cows make a healthier, happier product. So, from now on, it’s organic milk for us. I believe it will be well worth the cost.

1 comment:

  1. Mark and I had this very conversation today! And he is agreed. It will be a while before we can afford to go completely organic, but dairy and meat are top priorities.

    (Though you will be impressed, we replaced soap, shampoo, laundry detergent, toothpaste, deodorant and yogart yesterday!)

    ReplyDelete