Saturday, July 10, 2010

Day 26: La La La La La

I’m going to start singing. Yep. Watch out Lady Gaga. If you’ve ever heard me sing, well, first off please accept my apology; secondly, you know I would nevah, evah, evah sing in public where people could hear me.

But, aside from my radio faves, I really love to belt out hymns that I recognize in church, much to the chagrin of the poor people sitting in front of me. I couldn’t carry a tune in a bucket, although I can pretty much hit the keys, some of them anyway, but never as the music is written, or even at a musically appropriate time. I have this uncanny knack for squeaking out some really errant notes.

But I do it with such enthusiasm! Or at least, now I do. I used to just lip-sync the hymns. In my estimation, this was a way of showing respect for those around me. I know I can’t sing; I figured I didn’t need to broadcast it by wounding the eardrums of those who had the misfortune of picking a pew near mine. But then there’s that whole scripture about making a joyful noise. (Yes, I know there’s also one about a clanging symbol and a loud gong, but let’s keep this focused on the positive, how ‘bout it?) As I was saying, I am determined to make a joyful noise. God knows the voice I have – he gave it to me. I imagine he doesn’t cringe when I sing his praises. At least I hope not.

Without any scientific studies to back this up, I’m going to venture to say that singing is good for the heart, mind and soul. Even if I don’t sound good, I feel good when I sing. I sing in the shower (I dance in there too. I pray 9-1-1 is never called because I was doing a bathtime boogie. Now spend the rest of the day getting that out of your head.) I sing in the car. Although, I used to stop singing if it was daylight and I was at a red light, because I didn’t want the people in the next lane watching me make a fool of myself. Invariably, a red light comes up at my favorite part of the song, and trying to save myself from embarrassment really kills the feel-good mood. So about a week ago I decided I was going to sing even through a red light. No fear. I happened to look up at the back of a school bus that was in line with my hood, and noticed that all the students sitting at the back of the bus were looking at me and laughing hysterically. Two of them even waved. Ugh...

But really, should that stop me from singing when it makes me so darn happy? I don’t think so anymore. So, I’m going to sing when I feel like singing. And if you happen to hear me, please know there is a part of me that is sincerely sorry for that pain in your head.

1 comment:

  1. Oh, I can't tell you how much this made me laugh. But in a very supportive, I think it's great kind of way!

    ReplyDelete