Thursday, July 1, 2010

Day 17: Grocery Madness

I’m gearing up to go to the grocery store tonight. Ideally, I would have a list of the ingredients I need at the stores I will visit and the prices they will charge, so as to make the absolute most of my time and money. And then I would drive off, coupons in tow, toward wholesome foods and practical prices, hitting two or three stores to get the absolute best deals and best savings.

Not likely to happen in the next ten hours. I detest grocery shopping. Except for that little boost I get when something I have to buy anyway is on sale. Or when I find a cool new nailpolish for $2. It’s the little things…

I go to the store – the big one: Wally World – twice a month. I load up on everything we are going to possibly need for the next two weeks. But then I have to stop at Kroger for my meats, produce and milk.  Lately I’ve been overshooting the budget, which tells me I might just need to readjust said budget. Also, I’ve been a little bit on a product rampage lately, in case you haven’t noticed. I don’t want to go to the store tonight and load up on the same old stuff I’ve been buying. I want better products, better foods (and better savings…I can’t let it go…)

But before I can get to the store(s), I have to prepare my list. Ugh. I should have been working on this all week, but I was tiiiiiiiiired, so the need for a grocery list didn’t get addressed. Neither did the month of menus. I actually like to plan out what I’m going to cook for the next month, in an effort to 1) make sure I have all the necessary ingredients on hand and on time, 2) use said ingredients before half a decade passes, 3) prevent me and Dom from asking, “What’s for dinner?” and 4) help us determine what and how much to eat for lunch based on what’s on the evening menu.

I’ve been told I over-think things.

I borrowed a killer cookbook from Jessica yesterday, and now my head is swimming with all the new meals I can prepare. But it’s also swimming with the arduous task of detailing the menu calendar, lining out the ingredients, and knowing what needs to be on tonight’s shopping list. I need to convince myself that the world will not come crashing down if I pay two cents more for a pound of coffee, or if I don’t find organic ginger root. I am bigger than this right? Right! My new habit today will be my calm presence of mind as I navigate three grocery stores tonight. Ohhhhmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

1 comment:

  1. So glad you like the cook book! Once your mind is done spinning, you can borrow the other ones I have too. :)

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete