Monday, July 5, 2010

Day 21: A Cleaner Car

My car is The Cherry Bomb, so named because after we picked it out, the dealer had it detailed, and it came to us smelling like cherry kool-aid. I’ve had this vehicle three years this month. I think it just now stopped smelling like cherries.

And because my car is The Cherry Bomb and because it is a rebound car (my favorite ride was totaled, forcing me to get this one) my efforts to care for it have been less than stellar. In fact, this past spring when all the pollen was covering people’s cars in a yellow blanket, someone wrote Wash Me on the hood of my car with her finger. I do believe you can still see the words on my hood if you look really close. I don’t make any great effort to clean out the inside either. (Just ask any co-worker who has had to ride to lunch in my car.) The kids know that when they ride with Daddy, or Grandmama, and especially with Granddaddy, that they are responsible for cleaning out all of their “stuff” upon exiting the vehicle. These three individuals take great pride in their personal surroundings and their vehicles’ appearance. I have not previously been so moved.

But I do detest having to cram five weeks worth of papers, gum wrappers, and water bottles into a WalMart bag just so I can push the seat forward. And it’s not just the kids who clutter up my car. I can make just as big a mess as they can…and there’s only one of me!

Starting today, I will make an effort to take better care of my car. After all, it has to last another two years. The kids and I will clean out our junk at the end of every trip home. No more Legos littering the back floorboard. No more receipts from four months ago wadded up in my console. No more dog hair in the back cargo area from the last time I took the dogs to the vet…in April.

As a sign of my renewed commitment to the usefulness of my vehicle, I found the handy-dandy (albeit sometimes in-the-way) little shelf for the cargo area today. I loaded it up and fully intend to rediscover its usefulness.  Maybe I’ll even wash the wording off my hood.

1 comment:

  1. Roadrunner car wash at Youree and E. Washington.

    They clean the outside AND the inside (including all that dog hair) for $10. It's my favorite discovery ever. It fits my budget and my busy schedule. :)

    ReplyDelete