Thursday, July 8, 2010

Day 24: It's Just the Pits

Victoria presented herself in Mom’s kitchen the other day, elbows pinned to her waist, claiming that she could never raise her arms up again. Mom took the bait. “Why can’t you raise your arms up?”

“Because they stink.”

“Excuse me?”

“They stink. My armpits smell really bad!”

Not believing her, Aaron challenged, “Lemme see!” And so she did. Listening to Mom tell the tale, I was rolling on the floor. She said Aaron took a whiff and pulled away gagging. Curiosity got the best of her, and Mom ventured in to see for herself. And as Mom so eloquently put it, “Lori, she could rival your father!”

The next few moments were spent at the bathroom sink, Mom allowing Victoria a sponge bath in an effort to quell the self-disgust rapidly forming in Victoria’s mind. Vic eluded to needing deodorant for herself. Mom said she just needed to drink more water. I agreed, while in the back of my mind I recalled my co-worker sharing with me the claims of at least one group that the aluminum in our deodorant contributes to breast cancer. Mickey was in treatment for breast cancer at the time she was informed of this, and whether it is true or not, neither she nor I can say. But it has definitely got me thinking…

Days later, Victoria shared her version of the story with me, which included the frequent question, “What is up with my pits, Mommy?!” I wasn’t sure what was up, but I was determined to help her find a healthy solution. As I was perusing Tom’s website and learning all about the toothpaste I had just purchased, I saw that they also manufacture a natural deodorant. And I found it here in my stores! Voila! Gentle enough for my little princess, and I won’t have to worry about the guilt of forcing chemically harmful hygiene products on an 8-year old.

Is 8 years old too early for pit problems? I guess that will be my next research focus.

No comments:

Post a Comment